Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Not so structured, more personal thinking

Random Thinking

Well, I seem to be running in circles in my emotions here lately. One minute I’ll be up and jumping all around the room and can’t sit still and then other times I’ll be depressed and just can’t seem to move. I don’t know what it is, I promise, I’m way too young for menopause. Paul the Apostle, who wrote most of the New Testament in the Bible, said that he learned how to be content in all situations. He said He knew what it was to have everything and also to have nothing. He was once a rich well known ruler who had killed people for proclaiming they were Christians. He then became a Christian and spent the last years of his life in prison.
I believe the reason for my discontentment and highs and lows in my mood is not because I didn’t take some ADD, ADHD or Bipolar disease medicine. I am not fully sure if those are all legit or not. Have I thought about getting on some sort of depression or mood controlling meds? Yes. I have However; I’ve never truly believed they were good for a person.
Any who, that’s a different topic for a different time. I could talk in circles about medications. My main concern for writing this is to appeal to those who have felt they had too many highs and lows. I want to click with the people who I know feel depressed at night and happy during the day, or visa versa. I just need some assurance there are others out there in the same boat I am.
Now, I mentioned Paul the apostle who talked of this contentment he had learned. He said he had to “learn” it. He was given peace in all life circumstances after he Learned it. (Philippians 4:10-18) This is what I need to learn. I will say I’ve went years living this way. I lived at peace with each circumstance that had come my way, only I fell out of it for a while and then I’d find it again. Before Paul talked about finding contentment in all situations he pointed out to the Philippians to REJOICE! In the Lord always. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. AND THE PEACE OF GOD, WHICH TRANSCENDS ALL UNDERSTANDING, WILL GUARD YOUR HEARTS AND YOUR MINDS IN CHRIST JESUS. I believe this prior writing is the reason why Paul learned to be content in all situations. He also described the kinds of things we should be thinking of. He said whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—If anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. And the God of Peace will be with you.
When I had that understanding even when times were terrible, I knew I had found what Paul had found. I was teaching a bible study in Carbondale to people of all ages. I remember just studying scripture, and studying other books of religion to answer all kinds of questions to anyone who had any. I remember understanding that the reason for my peace in times of sorrow, and that total calm understanding I had was because I was reading God’s word. I had finally come to terms with the full Sovereignty of God.
He had me where He wanted me. He brought sufferings in my life to make me drop to my knees and call on His name. So that He could pull me up. I had peace in times of suffering because I knew where all this was headed. This life of mine I knew what it was for. I knew that death had no hold on me and my life had meaning. I had total faith in God. It was when I started to loose faith that my mood swings and thoughts of depression would begin to settle in. Faith is where the problem lied.
Paul had faith in God even when he was in prison. He knew God would feed and clothe and give him shelter as he did. Jesus said in his Sermon on the Mount to “Seek First His kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (These things being clothes, drink, or food) He also knew he would find himself eternally with his Maker. He knew what the afterlife had to bring and was sure of what he needed to be doing with his life. Paul knew he needed to make God’s commands, and God’s promises known. He wrote to churches he visited from prison. He knew God was still using him even if he was handicapped by the bars surrounding him. He wrote most of his greatest Letters in Prison. He wrote to the Romans, He wrote to the church of Ephesus, and he wrote to the Colossians. All the best letters I have ever read. They are directly God inspired, and this is probably why I love them so much. However, Paul was the tool God chose to use. Even while in prison.
People, we have purpose. We can have contentment in all situations. I have experienced it. I am not going to the Doc for my Ups and Downs. I know why I can’t keep a straight head and it’s because I was not thinking of things true, right, lovely, admirable, praiseworthy, pure or noble. I was consumed with self. Introspection is not the key to victory. I should be keeping my eyes on Christ. Keep Faith in God and His promises. Let Gods promise of wrath against those who do not call Him Lord encourage you to witness, and Let God’s Promise of eternity spent with him encourage you to serve Him faithfully on earth until death when you can part and live fully with Him. Know His promise that if we keep our eye on His kingdom He will take care of us and to be free from worries. Matthew 6.

If you want to know more about Paul the Apostle you can read many letters he wrote in the Bible Some include: Philemon, 1 and 2nd Timothy, 1st and 2nd Thessalonians, Colossians, Ephesians, Philippians, Galatians, 1st and 2nd Corinthians, and Romans.
IF you just want an outline on Paul the Apostles life you can go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostle_Paul
Once again, thanks for reading and I will state again, I am not mocking people who are on ADD or ADHD Meds or any kind of hormone medication. I am only stating I understand this is not my problem. I am not chemically imbalanced. Or so I don’t think so. I have done some studies of those certain types of drugs and have considered the value of them. I am only stating that their may be other reasons for your mood swings than some crazy chemical imbalance.
Alright Like I said that’s a different Topic for a Different Time.

3 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think our moods are a reflection of how we are revealing ourselves in the world... So many times we get lost in the true meaning of life and worry too much about our life here on Earth.. School, work, friends, love...Our lives become so overwhelmed with stress and trying to live up to certain standards of what people believe we should be or become. If we just stop and take a breath and realize NOTHING matters and we have one main purpose to love and worship God then life becomes so much simpler... Grades, money, or what people think. None of it matters in the grand scheme of things in this big ol' world.... We should all be jealous of John the Baptist... Such a simple life of roaming the lands nude and eating grasshoppers... No worries other than doing what we were made to do...I had the same feelings as you and after a while I felt God telling me to simplify my life and make myself mobile for his purpose... I had way too many belongings and way too many things keeping me in one place. To many things to keep track of and stress me out.. Too many commitments... The biggest move for me was selling my house and moving to an Apt... After simplifying my life I feel so much more free. I am able to wake up and If for some reason God called me to Hawaii or Nigeria I could go...I am not sure yet why he told me to do those things, but I know that if nothing else i feel free....
This may not pertain to you at all, but thought I would share my experience...

( Disclaimer: ) Please do not run around the woods scantily clad eating grasshoppers... Someone might actually put you on meds...

Josh D

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Brittany said...

thanks.. ya I believe You know exactly what I'm talking about. Those experiences i have all went through. I am going to go read john now. lol
Thanks . That's very rewarding that you sold your house and now feel more free. Congrats. Mine isn't so much material... as much as it is my own mind. It gets to me when i'm self-centered.
anywho. i really need to read.
thanks
and thanks for the disclaimer. Sounds correct. haha

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Teknik Informatika said...

How does the author link their own experience of peace and understanding to reading God's word and embracing the full Sovereignty of God?
Visit us Telkom University

 

Post a Comment

<< Home